• Cornish Yarg 150g
• 3 white chicory heads
• 3 red chicory heads
• 1 apple, thinly sliced
• 100g walnuts
• 100g caster sugar
• 60ml apple cider vinegar
• 60ml olive oil
• 60g honey
• 40g Dijon mustard
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Begin by preparing the candied walnuts. Heat the caster sugar in a heavy skillet or frying pan over medium heat until it dissolves and turns golden. Add the walnuts and quickly fold them through the caramelized sugar. Transfer the coated walnuts onto a sheet of greaseproof paper on a cool plate or metal tray to cool and set.
2. Meanwhile, make the dressing by combining the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a small lidded jar. Shake vigorously to mix the ingredients well.
3. Once the candied walnuts have cooled, prepare the salad ingredients. Remove the leaves from the white and red chicory heads, discarding any tough outer leaves. Slice the apple into thin pieces. Crumble the Cornish yarg cheese.
4. In a large bowl, toss together the chicory leaves, sliced apple, and crumbled Cornish yarg cheese.
5. Crush the cooled candied walnuts into smaller pieces and scatter them over the salad.
6. Just before serving, give the dressing another good shake to ensure it’s well mixed. Drizzle the dressing over the salad according to your taste and toss everything together.